Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On to the Homestay

I've been at my home stay for a few days now, and feel like I'm beginning to fit in with the family. I have 3 new sisters from 6-19 and a nephew that is one in addition to a mom and dad. Everyone is nice and is working hard, maybe a little too hard to make me feel welcome.

My new town is inland a bit and is a more rural community in the Dennery quarter. I've started meeting the neighbors, which isn't hard because my new mom introduces me to everyone we pass, plus it is pretty much mandatory to greet everyone you meet on the street (this is not the case in the capital) or when you get on the bus. I take the bus into two a few times a week and its about a 45 min ride to get into town and then a 30 min walk or another bus ride to get to the peace corps office. The bus ride isn't too bad cause its a straight shot and everyone always has a seat cause the buses are really jut big vans, plus it is a beautiful drive.

I still have not been anywhere near a beach, which seems like a sin because I've been on this island paradise for 10 days already. I have signed up at the library and opened a bank account however, and am begining to learn Kewyol, French Creole. Tomorrow I visit my future work site, and hopefully am not thrown to the wolves immediately, but given some time to figure things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment