Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Let's plant a coconut tree!


That there my friends is a picture of the coconut tree I planted. My host dad has a garden, which is really more of a farm, up in the hills, so of course I had to plant a coconut tree when I went up to see it for the first time. The garden is really cool, bananas, grapefruit, lemons, limes, passion fruit, plantains, sugar cane and a bunch of other things grow up there. The place is also really remote and peaceful, so I definitely want to go up there and help out. One of the goals we created for me is to learn to carry a whole big big bunch of bananas on my head like the locals do. I also saw my first whole cocoa fruit on my visit to the garden. Its a red and orange cylinder that looks kind of like a squash.
I also recently went to help another volunteer in my community run a bingo night at a community center that a volunteer helped create from an old laundry. The center is literally a cinderblock room with tables made of plywood place on cartons or crates . It was a really good activityto see what things I work on will really be like. Plus it is a center that I am expected to work with once I'm sworn in.
This is a big week for all of us Peace Corps trainees in St Lucia, we have to implement a service learning project at the school we are working at, and of course things our going wrong. I was assigned the day before spring break, weeks long here, to do mine, a day that now has become a teacher workshop day as of yesterday, so I'm trying to get the kids to school anyways. We'll see how that works out.
Fortunately the following day we someone weaseled into getting out of our lessons to go to a really big cricket match. Then the next day the other island volunteers are throwing us a beach bash, which should be a lot of fun.
Well its way past my bedtime, I miss you all and hope everything is going well for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment