Thursday, March 12, 2009

Oh, so thats how that grows!


In the past week I learned how a pineapple, banana, guava, mango, cashew, papaya, and many other things grow. Most of them just grow from trees and aren't really that interesting, but the banana and the pineapple are magical. First of all a pineapple bush, yes bush, only produces one pineapple at a time, and the pineapple grows out of the top of the bush. Of course my host sisters think I'm crazy for being so fascinated by this that I felt the need to take a picture of the one in the front yard.

As for the banana the magic behind them is hidden by the blue bags that cover the fruit in the fields I pass many times a day; however when walking with my host mom around the valley, mainly a farming community, I got to see some of the plants without the blue bag. The bunch of bananas start as a big purple flower that is closed up and as it opens little groups of bananas begin to grown, then the next layer, and then the next, I'll have to bring my camera on the next walk because you have to see it to understand how incredible it is.

Besides being shown all the fruit trees in the yard by my host dad this past weekend, I ] was also taken to the pizza place in the closest town, Dennery, which also happens to have Karoke. Be careful though because you will inevitably have to suffer through some old school, from 50 years ago, country music. I have no idea why but really old country music is huge down here. To eat the pizza we went up to an overlook so you could see the beach below with the town behind it, a rather impressive view for being off the main highway.

I have finally stepped on a beach, but I really only stepped on it and looked briefly out to the ocean. I think this weekend all of the trainees are refusing to lime with a purpose (structured and purposeful hanging out that the peace corps thinks we should be doing to integrate) and taking a day to lay on the beach finally. I mean we've been on a tropical island for almost 3 weeks it’s about time to be on a beach!

I went to church on sunday, I know who am I? It wasn't bad and I feel like it really helped me to get my face out there in a positive friendly way. I later met people who said they saw me at church. On the plus side after church you can buy ice cream, so that made it well worth it.

After church we went to a 60+ culture pageant, where I saw old ladies do Lucian dances, and wear traditional clothing. The most important lesson I learned however was that something you would expect to take a hour maybe two in the states will last about 4 here, and nobody leaves before the end.

I worked with an elementary school this week, the kids all want to be my friend, and I feel like I will definitely continue working with the school through my 2 years. In just one day I already started to get attached.

Today I had my first reading group at the secondary school, it went relatively well. I was given a different group than I originally thought I was getting, so my reading material wasn't as appropriate as originally planned. Everything down here is about being on your toes, and expecting the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment