Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter Weekend with NO easter eggs!!

Today is the first day of my four day weekend we have off good Friday and Easter Monday. Today was filled with fishcakes, kinda like crab cakes with fish instead, its a good Friday tradition here, one I don't object to. Last night they had a washing of the feet mass, this morning a walk of the cross or something like that, tomorrow is a midnight mass, and obviously the Sunday mass. I'm planning to go to the midnight mass because I'm told it is a nice one that isn't too crowded. Catholicism is a huge part of life here, so its important for me to at least go to church a little to integrate. Plus the church takes an active role in community activities, so I need them to help me help the valley.

Its definitely nice to have this long weekend to relax a bit from training, which we all want to be over, but I've still managed to keep myself busy. Tomorrow I'm doing an island tour all day, then I am going to the midnight mass with my host family. Sunday I'm hoping to go to the Carifta games, which is a tournament for all the best high school track athletes for the islands. My host dad talked of going with family, otherwise I probably won't go because I don't want to go by myself. As for Monday I'm volunteering to help with a cricket tournament to raise money for a community center. For a game I barely understand I seem to doing a lot with it...it seems like its fun to play, but its a ridiculously long game to watch.

I'm almost finished with training, just a week left till our final assessments and we move into our own places!! We then have a few days to settle in, buy things we need, unpack, and then swearing in. Of course after that is the fun part, actually being a peace corps volunteer and doing what I came here to do.

I miss everyone, and hope the weather isn't too dreary wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment