Tuesday, April 19, 2011

26 Months Later :(


It's hard to believe I have been in St. Lucia for 26 months now, and for most of the group I came in today marked the end of an amazing journey and the beginning of whatever is next. After a trip to the the airport and saying goodbye none of it really hit me. I'm still here they aren't, but what does that mean. Well it definitely doesn't mean the end of friendships. They are some of the only few Americans that when I say sorti la, eh eh gason, or speak Lucian English to I won't get a blank stare from. They have seen and felt my struggle here, heard unbelievable stories and sometimes told more ridiculous stories, experienced things beside me, and become American Lucians alongside of me, and for that they will always be in my heart. It does however mean the end of phone calls to kill time cause I was given stones to hold or I am waiting way to long in US terms for something to start. It means that when I just need a break from life, I will have less places to go, I have fewer people to make free phone calls to, I will feel a little more awkward at peace corps functions, and a part of my support network isn't here with me anymore. The good news is I get all sorts of tips on returning to life in the US, and closing out my life here...when crying on an airplane face the window so your seat mates doesn't notice, what kind of ID you need at the bank, and many more I'm sure are yet to come.

I have been incredibly lucky to have been blessed with such a great group to share this journey with, and I wish you all the best in whatever is the next journey. I'll keep St. Lucia warm(???) for the next month in case you decide this is where you belong.

Imagine all the people living life in peace, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one....

Thanks guys for making the past two years so remarkable!

No comments:

Post a Comment