Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving!

With Thanksgiving being the first big family Holiday for me in the Peace Corps, I definitely thought I was going to be crazy homesick. Thanksgiving just doesn't seem like it should happen without me setting the dinning room table, or at least directing the setting since I am the only one that knows how to do it in a house full of grown ups (Note to self when you make a child set the table for occasions , learn how they do it before they become a grown up so can make it look just as pretty when they aren't around). Baking should be a frantic 3 day event, and nobody should be able to eat until we are sitting down for the big meal, which is inevitably starting at least an hour late.

Needless to say I was concerned to see how it would all unveil while living in an island that does not celebrate our thanksgiving, and on theirs they do nothing. First of all I am lucky cause its a small island and there are about 20 other peace corps volunteers and staff, so I got my biggest thanksgiving yet. While the stuffing wasn't my mom's and there were no sweet potatoes or at least they were gone by the time it was my turn, I still got football, the american kind, way too much food, and friends. After eating almost eating 3 turkeys, at least 4 pies, the biggest chocolate cake I've scene, and everything in between, the fun wasn't over, it was time to lime, Lucian slang for hanging out. Some of us had food babies, others were in food comas, and I think the baby at least was not overly stuffed, but may have been the only one.

Most importantly I learned that Thanksgiving can be wonderful even if you don't have the right food as long as you are surround by family or friends. It may have been hot and we were Lucians, Americans, and a Bolivian, in one apartment, but we are all one Peace Corps family filled with love and support for each other, and that is really what Thanksgiving is all about.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Miss and Love you guys, and hope everyone got to spend their thanksgiving with important people in their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment